Monday, April 11, 2011

Somebody famous wants to kill me.

I went to college weighing 107 pounds.

I had just lost about 30 pounds and I was desperate to protect it.  I would weigh myself constantly.  Every time I ate, I would weigh.  Every morning noon and night, I would weigh.  As I watched the scale inch upwards, I would get depressed and very critical.

I was on the verge of having a huge problem. 

What I didn't realize (in my immaturity) is that my body couldn't support the 107# weight.  Frankly, I'm not sure if there is any adult woman that can support that little weight.  I know enough about my body to know that I will NEVER BE there again.

The best thing that ever happened to me was the day Skip threw my scale away.  I think he was getting worried about the unhealthy behaviors on my part.  It was literally the defining moment for me in terms of my weight.  Instantly, I felt completely freed from obsessing over every little calorie and every little pound.

My weight crept up into a more normal ratio for my height and structure.  I settled into a comfortable size.  I was confident about my body again.

Fast forward to today. 

I have had three babies and I am in my late thirties.

*groan*

My body is different.  My ability to eat without being intentional is different.  My metabolism has changed.  I have half-heartedly tried exercise in the past and quickly puttered out.  I have been so resistant to change.  Disobedient, even.

About three weeks ago I was sharing with my blog friend, Kristen, my desire to lose some weight before summer.  I had my doubts that I would be successful because the effort involved always stopped me.

I am lazy.  Period.  End of story.



Anyway, she came up the idea to tackle the 30 DAY SHRED together to get ready for our separate 20 year reunions and swimsuit season.  I prompted emailed her all the ways in which I am a lousy accountability partner and that I would have us both quitting before day 4.

Either she didn't hear me, or she just doesn't take no for an answer.  She said we should go for it starting April 1st.  Before I knew it, two more blog friends, Denise and Sara, joined in on the "fun" and we started shredding.  What I was dreading has become the best part of my day.  We check in with each other daily for support, encouragement and feedback.  These girls have pushed me farther than I ever dreamed.

I just finished DAY 11 of the 30 Day Shred. 

I know!

If it wasn't for these girls supporting me and cheering for me, I would have thrown the TV out the window along with Jillian and her hateful minions.  Except that I can no longer feel my arms and the thought of picking up something that weighs more than 2 pounds makes me want to throw up.

Other than that. 

It's time for me to make some changes.  I have been living too long without a thought for a healthy body.  This was the kick in the pants that I needed.

Even though I feel like JILLIAN IS GOING TO KILL ME EVERY SINGLE MORNING. 

Bring it.

Thank you, Kristen, Denise and Sara!  You girls are the wind beneath my flabby wings!!


9 comments:

Alana said...

So proud of you and grateful for all the encouragement you offer me in my own journey with this! Love you!!

Renee said...

This is a struggle that I know most moms can totally relate to. (I know I'm right there with you.)You're doing great!

Carissa said...

wow...blog friends. that's a neat connection. i'm impressed. on numerous levels. you go girl!

Denise said...

this was the kick in the pants i needed too.

today after the plankemabobbers. i fell to the floor and said "i'm dead."
(i'm obviously not really dead because i am commenting, phew). yeah, she is so trying to kill us. at least we're all going to go down together!

Lynn said...

Your title is hilarious.

I want to try something like this in a few weeks.....I know I just had a baby, but this "nothing fits" phase just stinks. I LIKE my clothes, and I want to wear them!

You couldn't have chosen better accountability partners. I love all of you.

Simply Sara said...

oh janelle. your title SO made me laugh.
i adore your sense of humor.

i am sooooooooo thankful for you ladies. i totally would have given up by now if it wasn't for all of you.

and yes, you are the wind beneath my flabby wings too :)

Kristen said...

this made me laugh out loud in the waiting room at morgan's orthodontist appt.

i love that you can make me laugh.

i am so thankful to be going through this journey with all of you ladies. it is making a difference. your story is not so different from my story and it wasn't that long ago that i was in that starvation place {and obviously i went in the total opposite direction} but i just want to be healthy for my family.

as sara said you are the wind beneath my flabby wings too. jillian better whip those babies into shape!!

Shelley said...

I am so proud of you, my very funny friend! :)

MarytheKay said...

Well, crap.

(Can we say crap on here??)

I probably should get the Shred video. I keep hearing about how great it is... So, maybe it's a sign.

Um...or a sign that I need to stop lifting my hand to my mouth...with so much junk food. :-)

Thanks (a lot) for the inspiration!
(And I jest...a little...I think you are GREAT for doing this!!! Can't wait to see that hot body around town!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...