Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pure Joy and Cardboard Testimonies



Last night I was honored to attend a women's event called "Pure Joy". This event is the brainchild of two sisters. Two sisters willing to put themselves and their passion on the line for women. This was the 2nd annual Pure Joy conference in B-Town and I missed the first one. I wasn't really sure what I expected, but let me just say...it blew my mind.

Six hundred and fifty-ish women from all different churches and denominations came together in corporate worship and amazement. Brave women shared their powerful testimonies on loss and abuse and bad choices. Women cried and laughed and held each other as they shared their own pain. There were parts of the evening that were so thick and hard to navigate, but God was there speaking to all of our hearts about trusting Him and giving all to Him and being AMAZED by Him.

God showed up!

I came into the event pretty comfortable in my own little life. I have my struggles, but so does everyone. Somehow you manage to just "suck it up" and move forward. I have become too comfortable with my junk. Anyway, I sat next to a friend and we laughed and chatted away. Then the worship started and so did the tears, seemingly out of nowhere. As the music poured over me I realized that I have become DRY CRACKED SOIL. The music was like LIVING WATER pouring down into my dry spaces.

I didn't know.

I didn't know I had become so dry and desperate for God. I thought things were going fine lately. I didn't know what I had allowed myself to become by not spending daily time with Him. My prayer is that God will keep this on my heart and remind me daily the feeling of being DRY AND SCORCHED. I want to chose the Living Water.

I was asked to help with a portion of the night called Cardboard Testimonies. It is a quick way to tell your story. On one side you sum up something significant in your life. Then on the other side you write how God carried you through that. The struggle and the victory. I have heard about the power of this moment but to witness it firsthand...I have no words. The night before we met and wrote our testimonies. There were several women participating in this event. I saw what many women wrote and I immediately became insecure about my story, my pain. It didn't seem as dramatic as some of the others. It seemed meaningless compared to the stuff some women have walked through.

But as the night went on, I realized that God is writing all of our stories. So NOTHING is insignificant to Him because HE is the author. It has given me the courage to share my story on this blog. Over the next week I will tell you about me. I will share what God has written over the most dramatic circumstance of my life. I will show you God's handiwork.  If nothing more, I want to write it for my kids to have and read.  I want them to see who I am and what choices I have made.  I want them to see how God redeemed me.

Please bear with me.

I struggled with what I was going to say on my cardboard. I ended up with...

I TURNED MY BACK ON GOD

{flip over}

HE NEVER LET GO OF
ME

A huge thank you for all the women who worked their fannies off to put this together.  What a project!  I know that lives were touched, women were changed.  


11 comments:

edie said...

again, i find myself tearing up. thank you, janelle

Carissa said...

okay, i'm on a friend's computer, sorry. it's carissa.

Lynn said...

Can't wait to hear more. Our God is amazing in how He turns ashes to beauty. You are lovely, friend.

Emily said...

Janelle...wow! What a beautiful description...thanks for sharing your heart...beautiful!!

Emily said...

Oh funny... I guess I was logged on to my daughters account! That last comment was me...janna b.. not Emily!

Unknown said...

This was my fist time attending and all I can say is WOW. I prayed before i went and I told God I'm open for all you have for me. Last night God showed up and he filled my cup over and above. I never have felt this way before. To see that others are going through the same thing as me showed me I'm not alone. Yesterday ended at Midnight!!!!! To God be the Glory!!!

Alana said...

Witnessing the cardboard testimonies are like nothing I've ever experienced, I remember feeling that way last year, but this year even more so being a part of it, I guess. It was an amazing night. Love you!!

Shelley said...

It was an amazing night, and I loved your testimony!

MarytheKay said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear more of your story! I was very sad to miss Pure Joy this year... Stink. You are so right--God is writing each of our stories. Sometimes it's hard not to look around, and compare.

Kristen said...

the cardboard testimonies are powerful. our teen group did them a few years ago after going through a program called life hurts god heals. so amazing. i don't think there was a dry eye in the room.

i love your testimony. i know those are words i could speak as well.

you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful event! So glad you got to go.

(I'm going backward & have already read your story-- so now I'll go & comment on those posts.)

{{HUGS))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...